Wednesday, April 2, 2014

breaths

A golden dusk;
The contrast between us and between our failures
Heartache takes place in the shallow bodies of water
strangling the softened eyes out of Zeballos 
(community of pop. 5000 and diminishing)
I can’t understand how you don’t see it
You established your worth then put it out 
in the weeds that grew up the side of my old townhouse
I watched the embers fall through the leaves
There wasn’t anything for you to realize

But I’m like this now and my sense of self
is all I have to give away
Beside the fig tree in that backyard 
I gathered the shards of a cheap hubcap 
into a pile and burned a small and slow 
transparent flame that filled the backyards
the open windows with plastic smell and smoke

You call it low grade anesthesia 
when I pull the white kitchen catchers over my head
I don’t know
I could already see your mother
through the kitchen window then
when it was dinner and dark set over the brutal oaks
Her fervent whispering of made up psalms
and ghost stories she’d learned from you
staring back at her window reflection
her hands white and bony around your neck

Each year when Christmas would come 
you were always ready to die
The hill up the road became spindled 
with stinging nettle and runaway dogs
I will never watch the city stir in its sleep 
from there with you again and for the better
Saturna just became an obsolete ideal
the way weed tea did, or Cipralex

This has never been easy for me to admit
but I don’t need you
You only want to spend my hard earned dollars
anyway ha ha ha
We’ve never actually watched a river run 
while standing together
and I can see now the cracks will form
in the wall whether I'm in the room or not. I lived 
for the smell of what we stole from department stores
That kind of thing's just too risky now

No comments:

 

yasmin